View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nothing like dredging up an old post, but this is where I am, and it's the best post I found on the subject so far. (1973 Coupe, 351C 2V, FMX trans, sat in AZ heat for 4 years - dry upper seal?)

Engine in the car, pan is off, Rear main cap is off, all main caps are loose. Removing a rope seal, but can't actually grab it with a Sneaky Pete, but have managed to remove a lot of the seal bit by bit using it. I doubt I'll get much more out of it as it is, so I'm looking for options. This morning, because I am procrastinating dropping the crank or removing the transmission, I'm trying cooling the crank to see if the metal will "shrink" enough to loosen its grip (highly unlikely I know, and it's only 8 am, and it will be 107 today, and there are worse things than sitting in the shade under the car with ice melting nearby.)

Anyway, is it possible to now remove the rod end caps and lower the crank slightly more (letting it rest on the remaining main bearing caps) to allow the seal to come out? Or will that invite disaster, or not work at all? I suppose the alternative is to remove the FMX trans, but frankly....I'd rather not.

Thanks for any advice.