View Single Post
Old 04-09-2002, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     
Default Interception!

Dave, if I might be so bold as to offer my two cents' worth, the Brian Redman International Challenge, held at Road America, is one of the finest vintage events in North America. Last year there were something over 400 cars entered, including 50+ Can Am machines, 60 + "big bore" production cars (i.e., Cobras, Corvettes, Shelby Mustangs, Camaros, etc.), and many sports racers (including the three original Scarabs, the fourth Scarab continuation car, and the sole Scarab mid-engined car). For some reason there were no Listers, although you typically see one or two. There were a bunch of Devin-based cars, including two of the three original Echidnas. Since our esteemed Cal Metal has since acquired the other Echidna, you might reasonably expect to see all three there this year (July 19-21, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin).

Road America is a fantastic circuit, 4 miles in length through the rolling hills of Wisconsin's Kettle Moraine region. The town itself has had an affair with road racing since the Fifties, and sits on a picturesque lake with restored resorts from the Twenties, a la the movie "Dirty Dancing". There are race and street car concours held right on the town streets, an auction at one of the hotels that goes on all weekend long, drinking and dancing at night, and the best track food in North America, IMHO. See this month's Road & Track magazine for a really nice article written by Peter Egan on last years vintage race there.

And, of course, you can't go wrong attending the Monterey Historics. This year the featured marque is Corvette, ensuring lots of neat stuff from Grand Sports to the SR-2 to Lister-Chevrolets. That takes place August 16-18. Cal, Big Bob, yours truly, and others from CC will likely be in attendance (don't let that dissuade you, though).

Bob