View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA 351W, B & B 427 Cobra, 331 Stroker,
Not Ranked     
Default Adjusting Ford 9" Rear Axle in B & B Cobra

I'm in the finishing stages of the rebuild on my B & B Cobra and have some questions about the rear end alignment. I took the car in to have the front alignment done( just replaced the front end with tubular arms and coil overs) and was told by the alignment guy that the rear end was out of specs. I took the car home did some measurements and found the axle sits 1/2" to the left of center and the front to back measurements has the right side a 1/4" longer then the left. My question is this...should I just run it? Is it "out of specs" to the point I'll notice handling-wise or tire wear-wise? Should I take the time and money to get adjustable upper control arms and try to correct the axle position? I already have adjustable lower arms but I believe they are only good for setting pinion angle? Can the upper arms be adjusted to correct off-center AND front to back measurements independently? Considering the geometry of the 4 link system, it seems to correct for one would effect the other, not necessarily in the direction desired. I don't mind doing the work and the cost is minimal, as long as it's something worth doing and I don't end up chasing my tail. Thanks for throwing in what you got..always appreciate the help.

Kim