Old 07-02-2014, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Dwight,

What brand is your fan? Mine is only pulling about 1900 cfm and needs a little help.

Phil

Phil,

Didn't mean to ignore your post — got distracted and old brain cells dedicated to memory failed me.

There is a relatively low cost fan alternative that is pretty nice. It involves using a fan out of a Lincoln Mk VIII. Early ones were supposed to be 4500 cfm and the last two years of production produced 5000 cfm versions. They can be sourced from salvage yards for ~$35.

After the fan you definitely want to use a fan controller. They are not only high flow fans they are high starting amperage draw. Cold starting the fan can surge over 70/80 amps and damage your electrical system and/or alternator. There is a company called the Hollister Road Company (<= clickable) that makes fan controllers specifically for this fan. The offer two controllers one rated at 85 A and the other rated at 125 A. The 85 will typically work fine the 125 offers a little more head room for $20 more.

Both controllers will give the fan a soft start and then seamlessly vary the fan speed up and down as engine temperature goes up and down. At highway speeds, when there is adequate air flow across the radiator to cool the engine they will shut down the fan. As engine temp goes down so does fan speed. When you shut off the car they will run the fan for approximately a minute after the engine stops.

Way cool controller and the only one like it I could find when I was hunting for mine. BTW when the MK VIII fan goes up to top speed you need to keep women, children and small dogs away from the front of the car.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 07-02-2014 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar