Thread: Goodbye Kansas
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

Chas - we have been open tracking the Mustang and it has been getting all of the attention. The FIA got pushed to the back of the shop. I hope to get it back on the rack tomorrow. I ordered the rear wheels a couple of months ago but have not seen them yet. I was close to ordering the fronts but needed to check clearances one moer time and Bill pulled the car before I could get it done.

Some pics and a vid -

The air dam cracked so we rebuilt it with UHMW

Splitter and dam are riveted together. Dzus and nut inserts to attach to car.

Welded in a subframe and integrated with a roll bar. Spot welded the body pinch weld to a jacking rail and tied jacking rail to subframe connector.

Tied the roll bar to the rear shock tower brace. Seats are FIA approved and we finally went to belts. What a treat.

We did not reinstall the interior. Bent up some aluminum to cover the tunnel wiring and used some builder parts from Jegs for the boot. Riveted ABS to the floor.

Boxed jacking pads

The car has had CO since new 375/550. With the added Aero it was getting to the point I was over driving it and it was getting very frustrating. I called Maximum Motorsports and they set me up with 525/700 springs and dampers and 3 degree camber, 1/32/ toe out, and 6.5 degree caster of which we could not obtain. We just tried to get as much as we could 2.5, 1/32, 4.5 and it is an absolute blast to drive. There is some left but I need a new K member to optimize the front geometry.

I don't have the whole GoPro thing worked out so skip forward to around 5 min and you can see it run. Shift light is set at 6100 rpm.

The yellow Lotus is the first target for the FIA. If we cannot get him I will be bummed. He has much newer technology and some of the best engineering in the world. - I am counting on being able to control the FIA to 7000 - set shift light at 7100. We will have gobs more HP just hope we can use it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NG_YWQEp0Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NG_YWQEp0Q[/ame]

It just takes a lot of time but there is no way to get to the FIA w/o going thru the Mustang. I did get signed off to drive solo with Pro Drive. I have been driving solo with some of the clubs, but it was gratifying get signed off by a PD instructor.

We are going to try to have the FIA running by the end of summer. I am searching for some kind of a skid pad so we can test and tune some before we put it on a track. I am excited and a little nervous about tracking the FIA. The thing should be very fast - The Mustang weighs 3500 wet. Trying to get the FIA to 2315 race. The FIA has more HP than the SVT.

Such a short wheel base.