View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Formula 1 2014 Season

Well I usually go to at least three races a year so I figured I would give it a shot running a thread for the season. Another member posted about Monaco and I posted about the Canadian race. Halfway through the season just about and it's a race between Mercedes team drivers Hamilton and Rosberg.

British Grand Prix

Don't read this if you are watching the re-broadcast of the race.

Qualifying was interesting due to the rain situation. Both Ferrari drivers failed to progress pass Q1. Sort of interesting since the management has changed and a total house cleaning is in progress. Alonso moved up a tad due to other racers and their position penalties. Hamilton had the top time as it began to rain slightly in one area. During the last lap a communication from Rosberg asking Hamilton to go faster foreshadowed what was to come. Everyone thought he had the pole locked so Lewis pitted and the others finished that last qualifying lap. Well I guess one sector dried up and at the end Hamilton was pushed to #6 on the grid with Rosberg on the pole. Hamilton looked as if he was in shock during the post qualifying questions.

So on race day rain was predicted for much later in the day. After the warm up lap it seemed that my friend from Brazil who races for Williams had some trouble with the heat. It was Massa's 200th race and his start was very slow. On the start Hamiliton gained a little ground and Vettel had a poor start. Massa did catch up with the end of the pack but unfortunately Raikkonen went off track at speed and re-entered at speed a short distance away. It looks as if maybe it was a drain he hit entering the track because the rear end went out instantly. Unfortunately Massa turned to avoid and caught a piece of Raikkonen's Ferrari. Raikkonen hit hard and the race eventually had a one hour delay because the metal guard rails had to be repaired. All this occurred on the first lap. After the restart Hamilton gained ground as did Alonso from his 14th starting position. Rosberg led for a long time until his transmission went out. Hamilton soon after led the race and at one time had over a 40+ second lead.

There was some really good racing when Vettel for several laps tried to pass Alonso. Alonso made his Ferrari very wide to say the least. At one point their wheels almost seemed interlocked together. Vettel did pass when Alonso just couldn't hold his position any longer. Just a note Jenson Button has never had a podium finish in about 15 British Grand Prix's. He was running in 4th with several laps left and coming on strong. I think if he had one more lap he would have had enough time to overtake Ricciardo who won third place. Funny how McLaren management told both their drivers they need to do better.

Hamilton in first, Bottas in second and Ricciardo in third. Nice seeing Williams getting some podium finishes after so long not obtaining any. With Rosberg with a DNF and Hamiltons win Lewis is now 4 points behind his teammate for the championship.

Next race Germany