Thread: Fuse sizes?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 11:07 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

1) See my thread on pushers and pullers: Cool Modification - For Pusher Fans Only, Though

2) Fans pull a variable amount of current depending on their conditions -- remember, they're electric motors not light bulbs. The long and the short of it (get it, short) is that so long as the fuse is less than the burn up current of your wiring then you will be protected. So long as it is not a fast-blow fuse, going above the max current is all you need. So, you have a wide choice of fuses without worrying about being wrong.

3) If you want to know the true current numbers, you have to put a gauge on your wiring (as per my thread) -- you can not rely on specs alone.

4) If you are grounding your fans to the frame, make sure that the path of the frame to the negative terminal of the battery is nice, clean, and of a fat gauge. If the negative battery cable runs to your block or head, you must be able to trace with your hands a fat gauge ground path from the engine or head to the frame, ie a fat ground strap, a fat ground wire, etc. In other words, pretend that the motor mounts, trans mounts, brake cables, and the like are all made of rubber and glass and provide no path for the return current. You must do this even in an aluminum car. Your fans will still run even with a half-ass grounded return path, but they will perform much better with a clean, high-gauge path. The ground path from the frame to the battery terminal is an often-overlooked problem -- correcting it makes everything on your car work better, your food tastes better, your dog smells better, and so on....