View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 11:03 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
True, unless of course, there's collusion amongst manufacturers and dealers. Collusion is more commonly seen in markets or industries where there are a limited number of sellers, say for example, like Cobra manufacturers. Although I'm not saying there's any evidence of collusion in the Cobra manufacturing industry and dealer network. That's Econ 101 too.
I can remember a few "specialty dealers" manipulating the 80's Ferrari 308 market in the 90's. The lawsuits followed, two of the four in collusion actually saw a little jail time as well as the loss of their assets due to the personal lawsuits.

I can also remember one particular dealer in NC attempting to do the same with 93,95,2000 Cobra "R" models in the 2K's. Never did hear about what the outcome of those lawsuits were, but I know he has yet to recover all he lost in both monetary, as well as his public reputation.

There have been others that take one particular car and do the same, take it to auction, shill it up to a higher than current market value, mark it as sold. Do the same at one or two other auctions in an attempt to "make the market"....Funny thing is, those cars end up back on their showroom floors, or those of their friends with the same old for sale information and no change to the ownership records.....

I won't even mention the two or three "specialty dealers" who created the current feeding frenzy for the Ford GT's....There are however plenty of folks here who know exactly who I am speaking of..

Not pointing any fingers, but I do still hear bits and pieces of what happens behind the public scene and party lines in this and other collector car circles.

I'll leave it at that.....

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS