View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA
Not Ranked     
Default Burning Oil - Intake Gasket

I finally got my newly built (ERA #801) on the road, with my freshly rebuild 427 sideoiler. Needless to say I was scratching my head and not a little disappointed when she kept burning oil! At one point I went through 6 quarts of oil in 100 miles. I've built a few 390's back in the day and never had any oil burning problems. I turned to previous threads here about burning oil issues and the ones around the intake pulling in oil from the valley side seemed to be most relevant to what I was experiencing.
I have new Edelbrock heads with a Blue Thunder intake. I used the Edelbrock intake manifold gaskets. I had no problems with antifreeze in the oil. But did have idle issues (hard to tell with the cam I have) and I could never get the mixture right. It always seemed to burn lean no matter how much I adjusted the mixture screws (Holley 4160, 750CFM).
This weekend I replaced the intake gaskets with the Fel pro 1247-S3 and used Motorcraft TA-31 sealant. I was unable to find the Victor Reinz gaskets. When I did pull the intake off, there was evidence of oil between the gasket and head side of the intake port.
Everything runs great now. No oil burning and idles better.

Last edited by tcabece427; 08-05-2014 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: Title typo