View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
Dan: thanks, no clearance issues w/cutout or ring.

Mac Jac: Detent spring is 3/8" long, and has been cut at one end. Also there was a flat washer under the bolt head. Didn't notice any spring pressure at all when removing bolt.
Should be slightly longer than that IIRC and both ends usually look like the end coils have been ground flat& square, if you can wait a few hours til tomorrow morning -my time- I will get a definite spring length measurement for you, that bolt/washer should contact the spring at least 1/8" before the washer is contacted by the bolt head ( when in the neutral or selected 3/4 gear positions ), have you checked to ensure that the spring has not broken and left a coil or two in the drilled hole of trans case, don't worry you cannot lose anything by poking a small screwdriver in the hole to try and extract any broken pieces, with the spring removed there should only be the detent still in there. Dont try to use a longer bolt with that possibly broken spring as it might coil bind and prevent movement of that 3/4 fork altogether.