View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
Jac: yeah, that's the bolt I have. Hole depth is approx 1.15", so with the bullet at .456", it would use the short spring, the 296 28 you listed.
What bothers me is why did putting a little tension on the cut spring that was in the tranny cause the shifting to be so difficult ? The proper spring is going to be slightly longer !
Ted
[b]Hi Ted, At a guess I think they have stuck a second detent ( bullet) in that hole, just measured a Top Loader case I have here & its ~ 1.500" deep ( 0.350" deeper than your measurement of 1.150", add the 0.060 of the flat of the shifter rail to that for 1.560" and we have a difference of 0.400". If this is so you will need a pin magnet approx. 0.250" dia to hopefully pull it out, or if you can determine its a 'detent/bullet' visually then all you should have to do is fit the new spring & bolt/washer be good to go.

****** Eureka***, just had a thought, went out to shop, fitted shifter rail & detent to that empty case & measured the depth*** 1.150"...so just as I guessed, they had fitted TWO detents... leave that one there ( put the spare in your 'things that annoyed you' cupboard), get the new spring and fit your bolt washer & you should be good to go.... treat the trans gently for a while and try to avoid those engine brake situations and hopefully all will be fine.

Afterthought... Wonder if the original builder has left 'that spare' detent out of another location in the trans---there are five in total---- only ways to tell is to 'feel' for slight resistance as you initiate each gear selection or strip the trans down, however I would still road test it with the 'new' spring prior to any teardown to ensure that the jump out of gear problem is fixed first.

Last edited by Jac Mac; 08-19-2014 at 06:47 PM..