View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Still not there yet, but sneaking up on it. Had to throw the 8-stack on there to see what the final product would look like.

I spent about an hour today going through pushrod lengths in .025" increments. A common misconception is that the pattern on the valve stem needs to be dead-centered on the valve stem. What you really need to look for is a narrow pattern, which indicates that you are not losing valve lift to unnecessary rocker arm travel. Even if the pattern is to one side of center or the other, I'd rather have a narrow pattern.

Finally got it dialed in. Lift at cam lobe was .375". That calculates to .601" with a 1.6 rocker ratio. Kept changing pushrod length with a dial indicator mounted on a spring retainer and got it to .596" lift at the valve.

Going to hit it with a Victor Jr intake to begin with. Got it mocked up today and it fits perfect without an intake gasket, so the intake flanges will need to be whacked about .065". Not uncommon...

I also pulled the throttle bodies off the Inglese setup and checked port alignment. It fit and lined up very well with the intake gasket. It's very important, of course, that the intake manifold angle matches the cylinder head angle (no leaks), but it's also important that the ports are lined up. If you look down an intake runner and see cylinder head, then that's not a good scenario. The air/fuel charge will literally hit a wall as it's trying to get to the valve.

So....

Waiting on pushrods, waiting on the period-correct valve covers from Nick Acton, and have just a few more assembly things to do.