View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 05:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I'm picking up a qt of DOT 5 for a Austin Healy this morning at the part store, $26 qt.
After a little research I decided that Dot 5 would be better in a car not driven as much as a daily driver. It will not absorbs water like Dot 3 or 4.
A buddy of mine has a tool which he hooks up to his air compressor to suck the fluid out of the system. A must have on new cars with ABS brakes. You have to watch the master cylinder and keep it full to keep air out.
We did my wife 05 car a couple of weeks ago and it only took 15 minutes or so.
I would suggest you call a local brake place and see if they have DOT 5 and can do the job for you.
Oh yea another good thing about Dot 5, it does not blister the paint off your car.

Dwight
__________________________________________________ ___________
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with DOT 5.1, a polyethylene glycol based fluid.
DOT 5 is one of several North American designations of automotive hydraulic brake fluid, denoting a particular mixture of chemicals imparting specified ranges of boiling point.

DOT 5 is a silicone-based brake fluid (contains at least 70% by weight of a diorgano polysiloxane[1]).

Unlike polyethylene glycol based fluids, it is hydrophobic. An advantage over other forms of brake fluid is that silicone has a more stable viscosity index over a wider temperature range. Another property is that it does not damage paint.[citation needed]

Using DOT 5 in a DOT 3 or DOT 4 system without proper flushing will cause damage to the seals and cause brake failure.[citation needed] DOT 5 brake fluid is not compatible with anti-lock brake systems. DOT 5 brake fluid absorbs a small amount of air requiring care when bleeding the system of air.[citation needed]

Last edited by Dwight; 09-11-2014 at 05:53 AM..