View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

A bit more tinkering this evening.

I test fitted the engine cross member. Originally the chassis had a piece of 2" x 1" RHS welded in between the engine mounts. I'm not sure it added much in the way of chassis stiffening but perhaps it helped support the engine mounts. The problem with it was that I couldn't easily pull the sump with the motor in place. Out came the angle grinder and I removed the cross member. I've fabed up some brackets and welded them in place and then machined a removable billet aluminium cross member. There's still some machining to do on it to remove a heap of weight but I just thought I'd try it for fit post powder coat. I had to machine a little off it to compensate for the thickness of the coating.

I put most of the power steering plumbing back in along with the front brake lines.

One thing I hadn't finished when making the rear arms was the pick up points for the sway bar. I'd thought to make some kind of sliding clamp arrangement to line things up with each of the adjustment holes but I reckon I'll weld in some threaded bosses instead. Got to do that before sending the arms off for powder coating.

Just trial fitting here to work out the right locations.

Another view of the rear sway bar setup.

Cheers