View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by guye View Post
Hi y'all.

I am going with an L98 6.0 for my Pace427, and believe the standard sump will sit below the chassis. I presume this is not a good thing. (The low sump, NOT the LS engine - before you start!)

I did a quick google but not a lot comes up. I'm only interested in a daily driver, not track work, so I don't need high performance or anything like that. Just a lower profile.

Suggestions/advice please...?
Guy,

The crate/stock motors come with a deeper sump and yes, if you fit that motor/sump combo the sump will sit lower than the floor and you will experience clearance issues. So it does need to be changed, especially if you don't want your Pace to have that 'rough rider' look with 3" gap in the wheel wells (to give you the needed clearance)!!

The low profile sump/oil pan you need is as fitted to the US Corvette motor. It's 5" tall versus about 8" of your L98 sump. There is no issue with decreased oil capacity....remember these low profile sumps are fitted to the 430hp version of the 6.2 LS3. Craig had one fitted to an LSA too when I was there. If it's good enough for a 585hp LSA then it'd be no issue on yours.

The other cool thing is that as the Corvette sump is flat, the motor will easily sit on the ground by itself without the need for an engine cradle if you want.

I bought mine as a brand new takeoff from a Corvette crate motor from a US Ebay seller. You need the oil pan, dipstick, dipstick tube and, possibly the windage tray. I decided to buy the windage tray just to be safe as it was only another $30. But Craig reckons you can use the existing windage tray.

The items above cost me US $289 plus $126 postage. Had it in a week. The new sump is a simple bolt on affair and you even use your existing oil pan gasket. Craig also said there is a buyer's market for your sump.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Sime