View Single Post
Old 04-14-2002, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

I agree with Niles.

The secret to well mounted - and secure - quick jacks is the tolerances between the mounting shafts and the actual tubes. Problem is, the tubes most suppliers use is a standard 3/8" aluminum or stainless tube, but the fit of a 3/8" shaft is still loose.

Theoretically, the best way (but most expensive and time consuming) to do it would be to obtain the proper OD stainless stock and precision bore the mounting shaft holes. That way, properly set up, there would be next to zero opportunity for that assembly to shift.

My car is set up as original for quick jacks, but I can guarantee they will never be used. Why? Because I'm just not going to risk some type of deformation to a finely (and expensively) finished body when a floor jack is safer and easier.

Believe it or not, there are very inexpensive floor jacks available in the $75 - 125 range that have the needed 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 lowered saddle height. The garden variety jacks with a 5" plus saddle height are worthless for these cars. It took me a while to find one, but it was worth it. Spending $500 - 750 on a so called NASCAR jack is ridiculous............spend the difference on your car!

If anyone is interested, log onto www.salesco.com and under "floor jacks" check out Model # 225MX. I bought one and it's great......and $69.95

Bud

Last edited by Bud Man; 04-14-2002 at 06:20 PM..