View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET_COP View Post
I've been on the Ford websites a lot over the years and those guys Hamer the crap out of those transmissions, faceplated and all and i never heard of breaking third gear. Ive seen a lot of carnage in my years of drag racing, could this isolated incident just be a bad third gear from a metallurgy standpoint. I mean this stuff happens. I don't doubt that the .140 is an issue but does it directly result in a breakage problem the we all know about? Im not seeing that.

The torque capacity for a gear set is a function of the steel used, the gear centers, the tooth style and also the face width of the gear teeth. The T56 Magnum has the same gear centers as a regular T56. The box's strength comes from increased tooth face contact (width), improves materials and also tooth pitch angle.

If you have a gear that is 1" wide and you make no changes other than reducing the tooth contact (face width) by 50% the torque capacity of the gear has been reduced by 50%. This is exactly (other than the percentage) what has happened to third gear in the TKO 600's. The torque capacity reduction is linear with gear tooth face width reduction.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.