View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Help Please: Strange sound during break in period

Hi Guys

Have a new backdraft cobra with a smeding 427 Cobra and TKO600. Car is new, only has 30 miles on it and drives perfectly. However today I took it for a 15 mile drive on the side streets to work the clutch and transmission a bit and after about 25 minutes of drive I came to a stop light and heard a loud "SNAP!" sound from the drivers side. sounded like a piece of metal snapping. Quickly pulled over checked oil pressure and temp, all was in normal range. Turned off engine and inspected the engine bay and under the car. No leaks, smoke, smells etc.

Got back in and car started up perfectly, drove for another 10 minutes and everything was operating fine, engine sounded perfect and pulled strong. Came to another light and another metallic "SNAP!" but this time from the passenger front side. again pulled over and inspected everything and again no issues.

Decided better to drive home and drove 20 minutes back with no issues. Got home and listened to the engine at idle and no tapping, clanking or any odd sounds. No smoke, leaks, pulled strong in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and sounded normal.

So what could this metallic "SNAP!" be? My current thought is that since the car and components are new maybe its a result of the heat cycling of the connection between the side pipes and headers. I checked the bolts etc and no cracks. They were all about 1/4 turn loose.

I also let the engine cool for an hour, started it back up and ran through some RPMs and then let it idle for a bit. Again no issues, smoke or clicking, tapping etc

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and feedback