View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
Was the scoop welded to the body or was it riveted on?
The 289 oil cooler scoops on most FIA replicas are wrong. They are based on a rebodied FIA car done by Brian Angliss who preferred the look of the 427 oil cooler scoop when he rebodied the car during a restoration. Examples of incorrect FIA oil cooler scoops are found on ERA and Shelby American (both fiberglass and aluminum bodies).

Of the original FIA cars apparently the only 1 that has NOT been rebodied is CSX2345. And CSX2345 is NOT the car that any of the FIA replica bodies have been copied from.

These are examples of what I thought were correct 289 oil cooler scoops.

CSX2345

CSX2431

However, David Kirkham had a discussion with Peter Brock who said something like the FIA oil cooler scoops were done at Shelby (not AC) on the original cars simply and apparently not to fancily by making a cut and pulling the metal down. So when I mentioned the above pictures to David, he thought that those oil cooler scoops may have been made pretty during restorations to the above cars and may not be original.

If you go to the Kirkham website, you can see what David thinks is correct.

289 FIA Gallery

David also pointed out that when he supplies FIA aluminum bodies/frames to Shelby American that he supplies the incorrect oil cooler scoop per specification by Shelby.

Although the oil cooler scoops currently on CSX2345 or CSX2431 may not be correct, I prefer their look.