View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 01:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Mike,

I have liked the Mustang since it first came out when I was a kid, and I suspect many of my fellow Australian Cobra enthusiasts have as well. Ford has certainly made quite an effort with this new generation of Mustang to reach a world wide audience, what with RHD and the choice of 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines. The 84 to 86 SVO Mustang had essentially a warmed over Pinto motor (plus a Turbo) and a more sophisticated suspension than the GT, but the V8 GT was hands down a better car and seller in the US market. Looks like this time however, the 4 cylinder is a much better setup than in the past and will likely sell a lot more on a percentage basis relative to the V8 model, than the SVO of years ago did relative to the V8 model. In terms of overall numbers, I would say for the enthusiast portion of the Mustang market, the V8 will still be the preferred motor.

There seems to be in the US at least more acceptance by younger enthusiasts especially, that the notion of a 4 cylinder Mustang is OK or even the V6, and it does not necessarily need to have the V8 to be fun to drive. I still prefer the V8, but that’s just me. I glad that they are offering a stick shift option, for those that want it.

I posed this question earlier in the thread … I wonder if you or any of the others would know … aside from RHD are there special requirements in terms of heavy duty suspensions for the Australian market? It’s my understanding that some of the 1960’s Fords (and others) had to be strengthened over the American version of the cars sold in the US, in order to stand up to the rigors of the Australian roads. Is this still the case, or would the 2015 Mustang or other modern American car be up to the task without any modifications? Same for emissions … are the Australian and US emissions basically the same?

- Tim