View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
I can see this car appealing to the tuner market and the younger generation. Most of us are 40+ and grew up with the V8 being the benchmark for performance. we love our V8 Falcon and Holden Monaro, Torana etc. The younger generation now have the Subaru WRX and Nissan GTR as their hero cars. A turbo 4 Mustang might be right up their alley.

I love my V8's (currently 4 in our household) and the turbo 4 sound doesn't do much for me but I'll be watching with interest to see what the tuners do with them. They are getting silly HP out of the Japanese turbo 4s. I can see the enthusiasts going to work on this one too.

As for suspension... I think the old falcon had to be modified to cope with our rough 1960's country roads/goat tracks. Last time I was in the US our roads were 10 times better than theirs. Especially LA which just seemed to be one big interconnected pot hole.

Cheers

I would say you summed it up pretty well. I too prefer 8 cylinders under the hood and three pedals on the floor.

Sounds like there is no substantial difference between the Australian offering and the US model, save RHD. I agree, the roads in Los Angeles are in pretty bad shape, same goes for the roads here in the San Francisco bay area.

In the promotion of the Mustang and highlighted in the reviews, is the change to IRS, and the handling improvements over the live rear axle. Interestingly, in most of the reviews, there is little or no mention of ’99/01 - ’03/’04 SVT Cobra Mustangs, which did have IRS. I for one will be interested to see how the two compare. With over (10) years between the two setups, I would suspect the differences would be substantial.

Regardless of that, looks like Ford has a winner, and Chevrolet with the Camero & Dodge with the Challenger for that matter too. Feels like the mid to late 60’s all over again … which is a good thing!