Thread: Why??
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 05:49 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB View Post
Well, I'm a bit late to this thread...but here goes.

I sold my Cobra with about 5000 miles on it. Why? I loved driving it on short trips on back roads, it drew a crowd everywhere I went, and I would frequently go out in the garage to just admire it, but driving on an interstate was pure hell. Loud (engine noise wasn't bad, it's the wind and road noise that gets you), miserably hot in the summer, bone chilling cold in the spring/fall. Stiff suspension beat the crap out of you if the roads aren't good. Having to check the weather before driving anywhere to make sure it wasn't going to rain was getting old also.

Another reason I sold was the safety factor. There's nothing between you and the mega SUV driven by a texting soccer mom but 1/4" of fiberglass. It seems like there's been a rash of fatal Cobra accidents in the past couple years. Maybe it's not any worse than usual, but we just hear about it more because of the internet.

So, you guys who love your Cobras - good for you, it just wasn't for me.

I still liked the idea of a raw, lightwieght, high HP performance car I can build myself, so I'm building a RCR Superlite Coupe with a roof, A/C and heat, and a full rollcage with side impact bars.

Big block vs small block - my Cobra had a small block because it was significantly cheaper, more reliable, less maintenance, easier to find parts, and it still sounded pretty dang good. I will admit, if money was no object, I would've had a aluminum block FE.

Pete
A straight-forward, honest answer. . And I think the OP has already come to his senses and given up the pie-in-the-sky, stupid idea of owning a Cobra.