View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Then I installed a 70A relay with another switch on the dash (might be a problem depending on how you are with accuracy). I replaced the standard Spal puller with a H.O. (high output) Spal 30102113. This did the trick. It's got about 5 more amps of pull and does what the original Spal couldn't, and it's physically a drop in, not muss, no fuss. Just the wiring, which is easy.

Now for the caveat: The fan is recommended not to be operated more than 1 hr at a time. For me, when I'm moving, I'm good. When I'm in traffic, which would NEVER be for more than 20 mins let alone an hour, the fan goes on manually. These fans are used in some older Ferraris, like the 355 or 360, automatically. I haven't heard of any issues with them blowing. I came through the summer with no heat issues at all.
That fan (the Spal 30102113) is a workhorse of a fan -- 3000 CFM. I use its "little brother" the Spal 30102120 -- it pulls just under 2000 CFM and I have no problem with my FE and heat. Users should note that the 30102113, in addition to having the goofy one hour limit, has a motor that is not sealed. Keep that in mind if you drive your car in the rain, or in high-dust (which most of us don't do anyway).