View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

Mornin Scratch,
Good luck on your build. Sorry to read that it needed to start off a few steps back. Don't be surprised during your journey to find that your CR plans and the body don't sync perfect. I scratch built mine to a 4000 body (build thread posted in here) and there were plenty of concessions when it came time to getting the birdcage and placement reference to sync well. The 4K bodies are a bit out of wack too, mostly in the rear. I did find that I needed to shorten up the front triangular support section to fit to the body by an inch or more. I spent a lot of time placing the body, then built to it. Keep in mind that the glass body is thicker than ally too, so expect dims to be off by 1/8"s (and 1/4 totals) here and there.

In your CR drawings, do you have the 'old school' drawings mixed in there as well (pg.5)? If so, you will find that the frame rail length measures do match up close with the length shown in your photo. 96-7/8 (measures to rear axle C/L) - 5/8" (axle CL offset) leave you at 96.25. These numbers do not jive with the newer ACADs in the drawings. The old drawings would leave you with an 89.5" wheelbase car, though the dims call it out as being 90". A mess I know! Best advice is keeping a constant ref. point like the front of the frame rail, double check every mounting point backwards for your engine pedestals, scuttle hoop, trans holes, outriggers and 3/4" body supports, and trailing link center, then build your new IRS box assy. and rear LCA tabs back the extra 1/2".

Mike.

M. Krause

Last edited by krausewich; 10-27-2014 at 06:24 AM..