View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I'm a bit of a fan of tools. For a long time I've been of the opinion that I'll buy the tools and do the job myself rather than pay someone else to do the job. Some times it doesn't work out but most times it does and I learn something in the process. I've also got the tools for next time or a similar job that can use those tools.

I've got an old school 1/2" drive torque wrench that I've had for 24 years and It's done lots of motors and other jobs. When I picked up the digital torque wrench I set it up in the vice and used it to check the old torque wrench and it was still pretty accurate. One handy thing with the digital one is you can use it to accurately set the torque on the old school wrench and then use it like normal. Especially important if you have to get into a hard to reach spot where the digital unit won't fit.

One thing I will have to look at getting is a torque angle gauge. A lot of the bolts these days are torque to yield where you tighten them to a set torque value and then turn them another x degrees.

Glad some folks are enjoying the posts. I get a lot out of posting as it helps me to continually make progress.

Cheers