View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Just going off of conversations that I've had with fuel system manufacturers in the past, a true 700 hp engine needs at least a -8 AN (1/2") feed line from the tank/cell to the pump, and of course no restriction to the carbs.

If I were building David's car from scratch, I would use a big electric pump, a -10AN line from the tank to a dual outlet regulator in the front of the car, and then branch out from each outlet to each carb with at least a -6 line, if not a -8.

I didn't take a good look at the filter he was using, but I can't imagine a stock-ish style filter designed to handle 425 hp would suffice here. Plus he had a 3/8" hard line going from the pump to the carbs, which doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. The log is designed for a typical factory Ford 2x4 setup, so again, the volume is not going to be there.

Knowing what I know about the dyno I use, I definitely would not want to supply this engine with anything that's considered "borderline."

I have also advised David to ditch the rubber hoses as they have a bad habit of breaking down from today's pump gas. Since there are no filters in between the rubber hoses and the carbs, all of that would end up in the fuel bowls.