View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     
Default An Aussie in Texas

I just posted this over in the Texas forum...

A huge thanks to the Austin Cobra Club for a great day on Saturday 1st November.

We started the day around 10:30 by gathering in a carpark to get the gang together, and what a day it was. Clear skies and sun shining, perfect Cobra weather. There were 6 Cobras, Hersh in his Roaring 40s GT40 (all the way from Melbourne) and an LS powered MX7.

Once we were all assembled we started the cruise south on I35 on our way down through San Marcos to the very pretty town of Gruene where we stopped for lunch. There really is nowhere to hide in a Cobra with so many people slowing down to take photos on both the interstate and through town and it only gets worse once you stop with high fives and fist pumps the order of the day.

We lunched at Cantina del Rio which is a cool little Mexican diner with either tacos, burritos or burgers on the menu. The food was great and the conversation flowed with all sorts of questions about Australia and Hersh reminiscing about his trip down under. The only problem was the size of the carpark with several guys having to park down the street.

After a great feed we took a very scenic drive up River Road towards Canyon Lake, with the road criss‑crossing over the river several times it is very picturesque.

At the end of River Road we stopped at the Valero “gas” station in Sattler to decide the next steps.

At this point several peeled off to make their respective ways home which gave us a chance to stretch the legs a little through the back roads, which I think took in Wimberley and Buda.

We arrived back at Steve’s place mid‑afternoon which gave us a great opportunity to sit on the front porch and relive the day with a few cold MGD’s.

So thanks again for all of those that made it along for the day, firstly my host for the weekend Steve, and Skip, Rich, Glenn, Hersh, Rosanne, Frank and Ted.

Also a big thanks to Paul (Prof) for the F1 tickets. The day was amazing and great to see an Aussie on the podium.

Looks like I’ve got the same trip next year so looking forward to catching up with the gang again!