Old 11-19-2014, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Flat Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary(SF) View Post
I have owned two flat crank V8s, and while I'm aware of the reputation for excessive vibration, I did not find that to be the case in the cars I owned (Ferrari 360 and F430). And oh my would they rev. In the case of the F430 it made nearly 600 hp from 262 ci, normally aspirated. I think the flat crank Mustang sounds very intriguing.
Yes, the crank is very light compared to conventional cranks but not generally used in larger engines because of vibrational forces. I suppose you could use balance shafts but that would negate some of the advantage. I am surprised they didn't go with Ti rods like GM and a light weight aluminum flywheel with small multi-disk clutch. That combination would rev very quickly too and not have vibration issues. Atlantic cars I owned had similar vibration issues and would crack brackets and loosen fasteners at an alarming rate. Lots of safety wire and Loctite were required. Sometimes the mirrors would go into resonance too, and it was difficult to see at certain rpm.