View Single Post
Old 04-16-2002, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ford 9"

Guys if your using, or plan to use, a Ford 9" rear you've chosen one of the best rears around for strength.

HOWEVER, If you plan on drag racing with a Ford 9" with Limited slip (I think Ford calls it Trac-Loc) you're going to toast the clutches.

What destroys this rear is that its not like a GM or Chysler "Posi" unit in that it only has a few clutches. I found this out when I was heating my slicks and one of my friends told me that the drivers side tire simply STOPPED in the middle of the burn out. I called one of the really good 9" builders in the Atlanta area and told him what happened and he said "Drag racing, huh. HEATED the tires and clutches went away, huh"...

I brought the rear over to him and the NEW clutches were toast. He said in a Ford 9" rear you either use a "locker" or a spool. I asked him about the PowerTrax unit and he said he had never installed one. So I bought the unit and a new ring and pinion (changing ratios). We put the heavier Daytona Pinion support and bearing in it (figured why not we've got it out) and he told me that the Powertrax looked really nice and asked me to let him know how it worked out. It worked out great. Car handles fine and has NO CLUTCHES to burn out. Both tires heat up correctly and my "mini motor" powered Cobra has been running steady high 10's with it. And think how much easier my little 274" 6 cylinder motor is on the rear compared to some "big iron" motors.

I talked to the Powertrax folks and they told me that it takes around 50 miles to break in and from then on it should be bullet proof.

Hope this helps and, if your drag race your Cobra, Don't use the Ford center section in your 9".

Regards,

Last edited by justa6; 04-16-2002 at 06:20 PM..