View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default MY FE 427 Build

Hello Everyone

I was looking for parts and found your site and I have always wanted a Cobra and maybe some day I will, but I have been a Ford fan for many years.

I do have a 67 Mercury Cougar XR7 GT with a FE that was parked in 1983 with a rod knock, that I was gonna fix, but was side tracked.

SPECS:
GT 390
428 SCJ heads
Offy Port A Sonic
Cam - Old Gus Davis - Greg Foreman Grind .612" lift 258 deg @ .050
Hooker 2 1/8" Adj Drag headers
Built C-6
3,500 Stall
Locker with 4:57's

I have since picked up a few items along the way, a 67 std bore side oiler block, and a early Shelby manifold and valve covers. So as money allows I be sourcing the rest to put these parts to use.

The block was recently finished, line honed, deck & squared and honed out to 4.250".

Next the caps, had bolt indentations from being torqued down how ever many times, and since I went with main studs that use washers under the nuts, I wanted a flat surface for the washers to sit against, so I had them touched upped.

Here is some Crank Trivia: This crank is a C4AE-6303-G, research has found it was used in the 64 HR motors the T-Bolts and was in the over the counter 7,000 RPM kits, and this one has 2 extra counterweights added off the center main to help smooth out vibrations that crack the blocks around the center main on SOHC motors used in the NASCAR program. This crank I had cleaned up, the mains & rods ground and the weights Bull Nosed & Knife Edged.

I decided to go with the Sidewinder instead of the Shelby manifold after finally getting all the stripped out carburetor stud holes time serted, I bought this manifold for this build 10 years ago.
Attached Images