Thread: wiring looms
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by guye View Post
Newbie question: what is wrong with running the stock VE loom and leaving the ECU somewhere nice in the front of the engine bay? I presume GM did that for a reason.

Space? Convenience? Protection from the elements? Heat?

Otherwise, I struggle to see why the standard loom couldn't be used, and a 'simple' extension made from where the VE loom would normally terminate to an alternate location for the ECU. Is the extra length going to affect the ecu operation perhaps? Or is it just 'untidy'? And/or is my assumption that this is simple wrong? Male 'lots-of-pins-squarish' connector to female 'lots-of-pins-squarish' connector with 20-odd wires in between. Solder that up while watching a top-gear episode. (Standing by for auto-elec flamin') ....
Fair question Guy. Why can't you just make a patch/extension cable and use that?

Dean, I'm using the GM Engine Controller package, which, as has been mentioned earlier includes the programmed ECU, loom, 02 sensors, MAF sensor and DBW accelerator pedal. It's all plug and play and it has extra 'slack' in the wiring length to fit multiple applications. I believe this is what Craig had used to run the LSA Pace they have up there.

Of course, I am running a manual (not a slushbox) and the loom is stripped of all the 'assists' which I don't want anyways.