View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I never know whether to laugh or cry when I scan through the upcoming Gooding and Co auctions.

It's just as well these current offerings are marked no reserve because the estimates at $110K for a wheezy old 3000 Mk1 Austin-Healey (the last of the old 2600cc motors before upgrading to 2912cc and a healthier cam) and $100K for an FJ40 Landcruiser (the old Fraser Is rustbuckets) for example, fall into Darryl Kerrigan's "tell him he's dreamin" world.

Not that I'll ever be in a position to participate but to my mind the European auction houses offer far better variety and value for money.

Regarding the 2000GT, I remember going for what should have been a fun ride in one up in Bundaberg in the late 60s. I blame any chiropractic problems I may now have on that ride. The car itself was a masterpiece for its time but cramped??? Definitely not built with anyone over 5'8" or so in mind.

I also recall a moment of near-panic when I found myself in a TVR Cerbera many years ago. A Venus fly trap on wheels! Getting in was enough of a challenge but it truly took some time and more than a little physical effort before I was out and free of its clutches. Again, a fantastic car --- if you're Richard Hammond!

At least I got in and out of Eric's R8 without any bother.