View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 05:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtwallace View Post
Dual front fans (must have!!!)
One of my improvements that ERA has not adopted, but they should, is to wire your front pusher fans so that they are independent of the thermo controlled puller fan switch. I have a lengthy thread in this forum showing the wiring diagram, and giving the reasons, for doing so. But what you want is to have the puller fan normally thermostatically controlled, but have the switch on the dash act as an override so that both the puller and the pushers all come on via the switch. Thus, the pusher fans only come on when the dash switch is turned on. The pushers also need to be on a separate fuse and a separate relay. This redundancy will allow you to get home in traffic if your puller fan relay/fuse/wiring/ or fan itself should fail. Plus, having the fans separate reduces the ridiculously high inrush current across the single relay and ammeter when the thermo switch kicks on. Incidentally, pusher fans still "appear" to be running, albeit at a very slow speed, as you're rolling down the street because of the air coming in to the snout. You should go with the heavy duty puller fan (SPAL #30102120), it's just a few dollars more than the standard fan and makes a good bit of difference. Ask them to wire the redundant fan circuit, like I did mine, up front for you, because doing it after the fact is, like doing anything on these cars, a PITA.