Old 12-19-2014, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=DanEC;1330558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtwallace View Post
Lastly, don’t put no stinking Chevy motor in a Cobra!

William

Above all else don't do that. I think some of the ERA guys would stop takling to you.

I looked closely at a Unique also and it was my choice before ERA and after Hurricane Motors temporarily shut down before turning over owners. I think Unique builds really nice car that has been around forever - which is good.

The body proportions are excellent - right there with ERA. In my mind the things that distinguished between the two was that ERA is more faithful to the originals in the interior design/components. Some of that can be overcome with a little additional work and expense if important enough.

ERA is also a little more faithful to the originals under the hood, although neither will ever fool anyone for an original Cobra with a rectangular main frame rail, different wiring harness and arrangement of the major electrical components. But ERA does a pretty good job of mimicing the original front suspension tower and the radiator installation, footboxes, aluminum panels, etc.

A few other things I liked about ERA in comparison was the slightly larger (stiffer) main frame rails although that packs a few extra pounds on. But Unique's have always beern noted for a stiff frame also. I like the additional , heavier, supporting structure around the front and rear cowl to carry the doors, dash, windshield, etc. I like the rear suspension carrier assembly with four mounting points and trailing arms to help pick up impact loads on the outboard hubs.

ERA has an excellent quality fiberglass body. That's not to say that if you get it unfinshed all you have to do is sand it and spray it. Any hand laid body takes a considerable amount of prep work to ready for paint. I also like that it is double walled in many areas where it is bonded and where inner body panels are mounted. This unstresss the outer body and prevents print through on the outer surface over time where bulkheads and inner panels are adhered. I own an old Corvette and this is a typical problem with refinishing them. It also is reinforced around the hood opening and very stiff there. There's no flexing of the body when you are working in the engine bay and leaning over the fenders. I do like the fully bonded body. If it is ever in a collision that may add some time and cost for repair but in the meantime it's about as solid of an open roadster as you could ever expect. I cringe any time I even see someone even lean against a car but I think except for paint and maybe the hood itself, you could climb up and jump up and down on this thing all day without doing it any body damage.

But, I don't own a Unique so I'm sure someone who does can point out some significant features and improvements of the Weavers work. They have enjoyed an excellent reputation from many years.

Keep studying.
Great points. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
One of my improvements that ERA has not adopted, but they should, is to wire your front pusher fans so that they are independent of the thermo controlled puller fan switch. I have a lengthy thread in this forum showing the wiring diagram, and giving the reasons, for doing so. But what you want is to have the puller fan normally thermostatically controlled, but have the switch on the dash act as an override so that both the puller and the pushers all come on via the switch. Thus, the pusher fans only come on when the dash switch is turned on. The pushers also need to be on a separate fuse and a separate relay. This redundancy will allow you to get home in traffic if your puller fan relay/fuse/wiring/ or fan itself should fail. Plus, having the fans separate reduces the ridiculously high inrush current across the single relay and ammeter when the thermo switch kicks on. Incidentally, pusher fans still "appear" to be running, albeit at a very slow speed, as you're rolling down the street because of the air coming in to the snout. You should go with the heavy duty puller fan (SPAL #30102120), it's just a few dollars more than the standard fan and makes a good bit of difference. Ask them to wire the redundant fan circuit, like I did mine, up front for you, because doing it after the fact is, like doing anything on these cars, a PITA.
mr. patrickt sir, we may not agree on leather, but i knew, if i kept asking dumb questions, i would wear you down and we would eventually agree on something!

I like that idea, and will defiantly request that if i go with ERA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
William,

Since you're still collecting ideas, here's a link to my thread, which includes some good suggestions and tips from the guys on this forum.

First Pics of ERA #795
This place is like have an Encyclopedia Britannica on my shelf (i assume most here of of the encyclopedia era, not the wiki-pedia era).

Thank you again, to all!