View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Pardon my naiveté, but you're saying you pay property tax on your vehicles? Excuse the pun, but that's a completely foreign concept to me (I'm in Canada). I paid sales tax (federal and provincial) when I purchased my Cobra or any of our other vehicles (and subsequent parts, etc.), but there is no property, capital or any other taxes applicable as long as I own it.

Just curious - what other jurisdictions charge property or capital tax for vehicles?

Yup... everyplace I've ever lived in the states charges something like this. Massachusetts called it "excise tax", Colorado called it Vehicle tax, CT calls it personal property tax.

Here it is $30.25 for every $1000 of value (3.025%). My wife's 2011 Mercedes E63 was over $2000 this year, $2200 last year, and I forget what we paid in Colorado when she bought it, but I think it was over $2000 as well...

I should add that this tax is on top of the sales tax when you buy a car of 6.75% (so if you buy a $50,000 car, when you go to register it hand the state $3375 plus another $150 or so in fees)

I won't ever get into the $15,000 a year in annual home property taxes for the privilege of living in the crappy state

Last edited by JoeT; 12-20-2014 at 04:37 PM..