View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Is this a sustainable business model? Figure your TAM (Total Available Market). It's very small since the market is already owned by Kirkham (and to some degree, Shelby). So if you are going to build a body shell for someone to add over a FFR frame, etc, you're truly left with the "kit builder" crowd. The number of people who are willing to invest in a body kit from some one with no track record is very small. As I replied when Seven7 was trying to justify his split off, it's not a business I would make an investment in.

Second, this will be a very labor intensive product. For high quality it will be hard to compete with Kirkham, and for low quality the issues will be fit and finish left to the buyer. There is enough variation even in the factory cars that it will be an issue.

This is not a case of "if you build it they will come".

Good luck though.
Getting back on topic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloycars View Post
As told I am willing to go for a FFR MKIV conversion kit with an aluminum body together with this forum:

I have seen that a MKIII is a totally different world but I got a good idea as in fact the body construction himself will not change...just the shape.

So lets start. What I need?
- I have information that the MKIV body is a copy from an original car. Is this right?

- Hood, doors and trunk aluminum panels from an original car are supported by individually tubular subframes. The MKIV has fiberglass and a front subframe.
SHould this be changed?
For body to chassis attachments we can go later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloycars View Post
Actually we are selling cars, ready to drive and with an aluminum body starting under 85,000. They are based on MKIV.

Bodies? I have to make a conversion kit first and then I will know something about the price. I am still evaluation the whole situation as I still search for an "attachment" solution.

With FFR I have an agreement with Tony that we are going individually and we agreed that future customers can in fact buy kits from FFR without a bodies getting the respective discount. I cant build a high quantity like FFR as they are quick to built, at the other side I think we could produce 6-8 kits/month for sure. Lets see.
Untitled Page