View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Bliss - it's of little consolation but in all probability it's nothing ERA had any control over. Amp gages are just a risky deal. If you have been around awhile you may remember all those Mopars back in the 60s and 70s with the wavering amp gage in the standard dash. They ran all of the alternator current through that cheap gage and Mopar dash fires as a result have always been a problem. Throw a "Smiths" gage into the equation and now I'm kicking myself as to why I didn't have ERA substitute a voltmeter in my dash.

Unfortunately your burnt wiring is quite a bit worse than the one I had recently when my alternator connection wire got loose. I think you will at least have to pull the harness out enough to unwrap it sufficiently to inspect all wires next to the burnt one for damage.

If you can isolate which wires need replacing either due to being fried by the alternator gage and having the insulation fried by heat, ERA can fabricate just those wires for you and then you can place them in the harness and re-wrap it. Or an all new front harness is always an option.

I agree - it's a bummer.