View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 12:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by keezling View Post
fyi, 40,000+ on my bfg 295's. No spin outs, no flats. Several 11 sec. 1/4 mile runs. Can't be too bad... Still runnin' them.
The simple fact that you're getting that mileage out of your tyres confirms that they are way too hard to give anything close to acceptable grip in my view. The drag strip is a completely different matter to normal road use. You are able to get them really warmed up, which you can't do on the road.
Tyre wear is an unavoidable trade off against grip. If the tyre isn't wearing, it isn't gripping....period. The other important issue is tyre age. If they're lasting that long, unless you're driving high mileage in your Cobra, chances are they're getting pretty old. You shouldn't be driving on any tyres older than 10 years.

We use a saying over here, if you have a £10 head, get a £10 crash helmet. The same applies to tyres. You really shouldn't be choosing tyres for a Cobra based on price in my view. These things can bite in an instance and you want the best tyres you can get to keep you in contact with the road.

I can't say I'm never going to lose control or have a crash, but if I do, it won't be because I've penny-pinched on my tyres.

Paul

Last edited by FatBoy; 01-11-2015 at 01:25 AM..