Thread: Goodbye Kansas
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

I finally got the front wheels for my FIA. Took some time (months). I had the side pipes and headers ceramic coated. I actually purchased some titanium exhaust bits - tube and resonator - unbelievably lite. Pipe and res weigh around 4lb. I would not expect more than 6 for a full pipe. Mine weigh 16 each. Have not exactly figured out how to weld it together yet, but we are working on it.

I am taking a bunch of stuff for powder coat so we do not have a steering wheel right now. The steering is quite lite. We are able to roll it around and turn the steering column with one hand. I really thought the steering was ready to go, but while cycling the suspension and steering with out the steering shaft installed, I noticed that the spline on the pinion does not run out true as it is welded a little off center to the center line of the pinion. This may have contributed to the stress cracks seen in the foot box. Quite dis heartening.

I spoke to Woodward and am seriously considering abandoning the original rack and having them build one. I would raise the rack some which would decrease the steering knuckle angle at the pinion. It would also decrease the distance from the tie rod end to the steering arm which is increased from stock because we are running extended ball joints. I would also be able to get 2 turns lock to lock.

As we were rolling it around tonight I thought about just running it this way as it is so lite, but it is just not correct.

Nick welded up some valve covers. We are working on the puke tank.