View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 08:07 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP2RA View Post
Hello,

I've been looking to purchase a used Cobra 427 roadster, and found one I really liked late November. Emailed back and forth with the owner, then called and was politely told someone had given him a deposit to hold the car until that party could come and look at it. My question is, has anyone on this forum ever sent a deposit to a private owner under these circumstances? Was there a deposit contract that the owner signed, Or do you just depend on the kindness of strangers? Amount of deposit? Wording in the deposit contract?

Spent 30 minutes searching 'deposit' and 'deposit contract', with no results.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

CHP
Must be one heck of a deal if someone put a deposit down from way back in November. Personally, I've never taken a deposit to hold a car I'm selling. Either a buyer can come and inspect the car themselves, or they can send any number of qualified "pre purchase inspection companies". It is possible that a potential buyer has made arrangements for such a PPI, and the seller is honoring his word to allow a day or two to let that inspection happen. Otherwise, it's a cash and carry world, why waste time playing such games as a seller or a buyer when there are so many other quality cars out on the market at a given time.

Just my two cents worth as I rush out of the office.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS