View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 08:10 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
I did find that. I was more interested in the finer points. Like when they title it how do you control the description so they are not looking for bumpers which are listed on those forms as necessary. How does that inspection go? The Officer goes cool, that looks great signs and moves on or is it a thing?
As with most state run MVS divisions, it's usually luck of the draw.

Description is usually based on the MSO/MCO you supply them with. If you fill out all of the paperwork based on that document, 80% of the time they will follow it. 100% of the time if they have a similar VIN already in their system. Where you (or anyone else) struggles is when you are the very first to come in with something not in their system. Then it becomes a learning tool for their division and you go under a microscope. In your case however, I doubt that will occur, as there are plenty of new and old style SPF's already registered in Michigan.

Bumpers are up for interpretation when it comes to replicas, a simple set of quick jacks can be construed as bumpers, but again it is all luck of the draw as to who you get to inspect the car (if they want to inspect and not just sign off on it from the pictures you'll provide).

I generally tell people to start a build "binder", have everything (and more) laid out in clear plastic sheets, organized in sub sections, lots of detailed pictures of the build, receipts for everything you can think of. Be as helpful (enthusiastic) as you can be. Never argue or frown, always stay on the positive mindset. Your attitude and attention to detail (so they do not have to chase after things) will rub off on whomever they assign to you.

Yes, it really is that simple most of the time.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS