Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Rules...

Nostalgia...

Deck height limitations...

????

In a street car, I would rather have the cubes. I don't know why anyone would logically settle for a smaller stroke when the longer stroke rotating assemblies cost exactly the same.

In a race car, I would rather have the cubes. Pat Musi builds Mountain Motor class Pro Stock engines. They are 903-1000 cubic inch engines. They turn very high rpms and they are very undersquare.

In roundy-round applications such as dirt track racing, common engine sizes are 427-434 cubic inches. These engines turn 8000-9000 rpm, with the largest stroke they can fit in the block due to piston height constraints. These are applications where they require on/off switch style engine response. The stroke doesn't hinder that.

Jay Brown builds FE SOHC engines. He keeps increasing the stroke and I believe is up to a 4.600" stroke with a custom billet crank. He's approaching 8000 rpm with this engine and doesn't he use it in his Drag Week car?

I think we all may not still be on the same common ground as far as terminology and what's going through our minds. I'm still confused on whether we are comparing equal engines, or if we are comparing "potentials." I also think that some people's judgment may have been clouded by low compression, short cammed truck engines with 50 lb flywheels.