View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes
Not Ranked     

Hi Barry,

There are plenty of reasons why someone would choose a shorter stroke in a street car. HP is important, but that isn't the only consideration for a hobby car.

Personally, I want a 427 so I don't have to explain myself at every gas station (why isn't it a 427?), and also because I have always wanted a 427 side oiler. It's weird. I know that a 427 and 428 perform about the same, but I still want a 427 side oiler. Everyone needs to own an icon at least once.

I can build a 4.25x4.25 side oiler, and I might. But I don't need the extra stroke. This is mostly a street car for me.

Btw, I agree with everything else you said about 428 vs. 427. I had a 428 in a Mustang about 15 years ago, and to this date, it was the fastest (and quickest revving) car I have driven. Other cars I have driven include Pantera, Viper, Ferrari, and a supercharged 5.0 Mustang. That isn't a long list, but they're not slouches either. My point is that my 428 had a 3.98" stroke, and it was scary fast. It revved much faster than my 93 Mustang Cobra, which had a 3" stroke.

Here's a better one. My Pantera had a stock 351C when I bought it. I rebuilt it and stroked it to 377". The 377 revved much faster than the 351C, and the only thing I changed was the crank, rods, pistons. It currently has a 4" crank for 408". I'm not quite finished with it, so I don't know how it will behave, but I doubt that it will run out of wind at the top end.