View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 FIA ERA
Not Ranked     
Default Register Cobra in NJ (Car came from CT)

Need some help.. just purchased ERA Cobra. Car was titled in Connecticut and I need to transfer title and register car in NJ. CT title has VIN Number, Year (1998), Make (ERACO), Model (COBRA), Style (CONVT), Cyl. (08), New/Used (New), etc. so I was assuming I would just register and be good to go. I was also assuming that car would not need to be inspected. After some preliminary research my understanding is that it will need to be inspected regularly and QQ plates are not an option.

I understand I cannot go the Collector Car Voucher route because Kit Cars are excluded. Does this means I need to go the “Central Office” route and call Trenton for a “Special Vehicle Title” packet and go into Constructor Vehicle process?? Was hoping I can just register car and move on. Will I also need to get a special inspections done prior to registering the car?

I am calling DMV tomorrow, but before I call.. had some questions..

1. Do I need to go the “Constructor Vehicle” route if I already have a valid title from CT, or is there any way to get the car registered without this process AND still have no requirement for emissions test.

2. Can I bypass the physical pre-inspection since I have a valid title from CT?

3. Do I need receipts or any information from original build, since car was already titled in CT?

4. Do I need add catalytic converter to pass emissions if car was built in 1998? During my research I see that if engine block is cast prior to 1978, I am OK? Is there any leeway with newer blocks.. not sure what year my block is.

5. Is there a way to get the car “Emissions Exempt”?

6. What information should I “not” volunteer when speaking with DMV

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

suds