View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Since the car is already titled in CT, you should be able to simply transfer the title and get plates as you would with any other car. The Reconstructed Vehicle route is only for new builds that don't already have a title. Your real problem is going to come when it is time for the annual inspection. As you noted, NJ eliminated the Collector Vehicle registration for kit cars a number of years ago. So, unless Mr Mustang has some details on recent changes to the NJ registration/inspection rules that I am not aware of, I think what you are going to have is a 1998 car that is subject to 1998 inspection requirements, including cats. It is possible to go to one of the three main state vehicle inspection stations that are located throughout the state, let them verify the year of the block and give you an "engine letter" that states the engine is X year and, for emissions purposes, the car should be tested again X year's standards (I did this when I registered my ERA). You need to check the date code on your block. If it is pre-1974, you are only required to have a PCV valve and no cats are required. If it is 1974 or later, cats are required. Short of doing that, I would get plates, bring it to a local garage that does inspections and see if they can get it to pass notwithstanding the lack of cats, which may or may not be possible depending on your camshaft, etc.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."