View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pete View Post
Your last registration shows you have an assembled vehicle with custom vehicle plates - these vehicles are exempt from a yearly inspection...ergo no inspection needed for renewal. Show proof of insurance pay the fee and be on your way....
G-Pete, you are assuming that between the DPS and the DMV they will set up the system correctly to recognize all this. I'm sure they'll get there eventually, but I'm also sure that along the way the first few users of the new system with Custom Vehicle or Street Rod plates are going to have a hard time. Keep in mind that between the time the SEMA model law oriignally passed and the time they codified it all in a nice new release of the Title Manual, it was almost a year.

To illustrate my point, this website is supposed to explain the new process:
Motorists | Two Steps. One Sticker. Texas DMV

Near the bottom of the site, under the title "Vehicles Exempt from Inspection Requirements" it refers you to this other site to check out your status:
Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection

Now when you go there, you can select "Exempt Vehicles" in the drop down box and this is what it says:

Quote:
15.01 Vehicles Exempt from Inspection

1. Equipment:
a. Road-Building Equipment
b. Farm Machinery
*c. Trailers
*d. Semitrailers
*e. Pole Trailers
*f. Mobile Homes
g. Any Vehicle required to Display a Slow-Moving Vehicle Emblem
*When the actual gross weight or registered gross weight is 4,500 pounds or less.

2. A vehicle with one of the following type Texas license plates:
a. Paper Dealer Demonstration/In-transit/Converter Tag
b. Parade License
c. Former Military Vehicle License
d. In-Transit License
e. Machinery License
f. Disaster License
g. Farm Trailer License
h. Permit License
i. Antique License
j. Charitable Organization Tag
k. All-Terrain Vehicle Validation Sticker

3. A vehicle with one of the following Texas permits:
a. Factory Delivery Permits
b. Prorate Tabs
c. One-Trip Permits
d. Temporary 24-Hour Permits
e. Mobile drilling and servicing equipment used in gas, oil, or crude production having a 72- or 144-Hour Permit

4. Window Tint.
Do you see something MISSING? Custom Vehicles and Street Rod licenses?? Nada!

To be sure, I went and checked the formal Texas Transportation Code, and sure enough under section 548.052 we still show up as exempt:
TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 548. COMPULSORY INSPECTION OF VEHICLES

But, who wants to volunteer to be the first one to battle this out with the local county clerk!?