View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

Bill I actually do prepare a quarterly diary for a few mates and interested parties but it is approaching War and Peace in length, In honor of Jerry and Elaine I'm thinking of calling it War: what is it good for?

It has been a while since I posted but I have been steadily working away. The engine and most of the drivetrain are fitted - just finished the drive shafts yesterday. The devil sure is in the detail on these projects, while I carefully designed and completed a trial fit of all the components I'm finding lots of limited access or interference issue when everything is bolted together.

Some of the components are also having a last minute design change. For example I have changes the parking calliper mounting design. For the clutch I used the original GM clutch hard line and it was a PITA due to the narrow clearance to the transmission tunnel - I'll swap to a flexible line next time i drop the gearbox.

I could go on and on about the numerous install problems I've encountered but it's easier to say that the number of holes in the shed walls caused by a tool being hurled through them just about corresponds with the number of fit issues I've encountered!

Original parking brake mount.

Modified mount

Over length axles

Machined to length and circlip grooves cut.

Ready to install

Postscript - I dropped into the local GM dealer to buy 8 new circlips for the CVs. The chap said he would have to get them in and quoted $16... EACH! I said "I only wanted the circlip not the bloody CV". Lucky for his building I wasn't holding a metal object. I dropped into the local bearing shop and purchased 9 circlips for under $5.