Thread: Cammer parts.
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

So I thought I would update on where I'm at with my motor after Keith got on here and made some suggestions.

I sent him another email with everything that he asked for (again 3rd time).

He came back (via Lance) and asked more questions to which I responded and then things all went quiet.

To be precise I have emailed him about 9 times since he got on this forum and suggested I should send the engine back to him. I might add that given the response to date I would have absolutely no faith in doing so for fear of not getting the motor back for quite a lengthy time if at all.

So I'm starting to get my engine all organised to go back to together and am organizing all my parts etc so that it can get bolted together and back on the road.

I decided given the issues that I have had with this Cammer that I would have everything crack tested and replace everything new because I wasn't happy with what I saw when the engine came apart.

My crank and rods and all rocker gear tested fine. I did this about 3 weeks ago.

I'm replacing all of the pistons because I don't want to risk any potential failures with gudgeon stress from valves hitting piston heads.

Big day of disappointment yesterday when the crack test of my heads revealed they are nothing but POS. These heads are Coon heads and machined by Keith Craft.

My machine shop has told me that in some places the exhaust to water jacket is no more then 1 mm (40 thou).

The photos below show all of the porosity and cracks that are in them, for those that dont understand the dark purple areas are where porosity is and the dark purple lines are cracks.

So when I receive this information I have now lost my cool, so I wrote another email to Keith and Lance and politely gave them a piece of my mind.

Lance was kind enough to respond, he is now sick of me emailing him (which I can understand given that he is only an employee) because he would have received over 25 emails plus numerous calls since this all happened in November.

He politely reminded that he had asked me to email Keith direct. I pointed out to him that Keith has been included on almost every email.

To date Keith has not personally responded to one of my emails, I have had 2 responses from him that have come via Lance.

The resolve that Keith has agreed to is a new timing chain and front cover. Oh the generosity

So much for reputable engine builder with a written warranty.

Lance admitted that these Coon heads are crap and they have stopped using them.

So I'm stuck with an even bigger repair bill to pay for now.