View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hi All,
I had a PM about where i got my tank straps made, ... in my shed....so i thought i'd post some pics for the do-it-your-selfers like me.

The factory CR bands are just bent straps with a hole in each end for bolting to the chassis, I didn't buy the CR tank, because i want to fit a Factory VE pump, instead of the external pumps and surge tank, so i had a tank custom made with a few other alterations as well, Larger, Drain hole, Provision to mount another tank in the boot with plumbing points to the under tank.
This means i had to make up custom fuel bands.

I like the truck fuel tank style bands with the T-Bolt and looked around to find a manufacturer, I could only find 1 that would make custom bands in a suitable scale to suit a car fuel tank, Clampco in the USA, and at US$900 for the pair....

So here's my effort.

Made up T-bolts. The T is 16mm rod with a 10mm hole drilled through the center, then a 10mm bolt with the head removed slid through the hole and then welded in the hole and back filled, ground smooth.

If i do this again, i would do this last as after i made the straps, i was a few mm short and had to remake them again
Here they are after i got them coated by HPC.

For the strap, I got the local Laser Cutting man to cut me 4 pieces from 1.6mm polished Stainless sheet, with a slot in each end to a drawing i supplied.
(2 for practice, 2 to get right)

In this pic you can see a simple jig i made from some angle with a slot 20mm wide so that a t bolt and 2x material thickness would pull into creating a U shape.

Do up the nut and pulled into the slot.

Next, another bit of angle with a t bolt holding the strap against the back with a press bar on some bolts the 20mm out from the back edge.
I used the little 20T press i have to shape the band around the T bolt.

Then drilled some holes for Stainless Rivets

Here is the front location for the T Bolt,

And the Back

I still have the jigs if anybody wants to borrow them.
cheers
Dave