View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Phil

Don't know about the correct driven gear but as to why the speedometer doesn't work - one thought comes to mind. I have an Smith speedo and Toploader transmission so I'm not sure that this will apply to you.

Someone here pointed out that the speedometer cable supplied by ERA is a Mustang unit I think - and that there is quite a bit of back and forth play in the inner cable - so much so that if it shifts towards the speedometer, it may be so barely engaged in the transmission plastic gear that it can actually strip out the square drive recess.

I checked mine and he was right - there is a lot of play in the inner cable. I had a box of various size stainless steel washers from Harbor Freight and I found some little ones that fit inside the speedometer end recess and over the cable - it took about 6 or 7 to take up the slack, which pushed the cable back towards the transmission. Instead of washers a spacer could be made from a short piece of aluminum or brass tubing of appropriate size. I think my plastic gear was starting to strip out as it was jumping a lot and after this it has been much better (not perfect but much better).

Something to check - could be your cable is not engaging the transmission plastic gear.

Last edited by DanEC; 03-12-2015 at 03:26 PM..